Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Assault of Empowerment!


"You don't know the power of the dark side." - Darth Vader

Empowerment refers to increasing the spiritual, political, social or economic strength of individuals and communities. It often involves the empowered developing confidence in their own capacities.

Of late, I have met two different individuals from various walks of life. One was with a Barista from Starbucks. The other was with an old acquaintance online.

Both felt it necessary to share their "issues" with me. The Barista shared her Christian passion to help the "Invisible Children" in Africa - www.invisiblechildren.com. In the course of our brief conversation, she put a DVD in my hands that highlighted the plight of these poor, abused, military conscripted children.

I watched the DVD and returned it to her.

Separately, an old high school acquaintance, from 20 years ago, contacted me via email. The contact was unsolicited. Through the course of online conversations, she inadvertently revealed that she was going through a tough mid-life crisis. From her descriptions, she was facing bottom. She was stuck in a very rigid, unemotional relationship. She home schooled 4 children, with at least one or more still nursing. She went through emotional, physical, and sexual abuse as a child. To top it all off, she also endured a failed business. She was reaching out to anyone who would listen including me.

The Empowerment Remedy

Based on who I am and what I study, I suggested a healthy dose of "empowerment" to both situations.

For the young, naive Barista, I suggested that the Africans do not need our fear, guilt, and pity. They need our strength and reason. The reason these people exist in such horrific conditions is because church's and governments need victims to generate revenues and perpetuate philosophical weakness.

"Wielded correctly, fear, guilt, and pity are money making formulas. Just ask the bum on the street corner with the God Bless sign."

I asked her, "why don't the missionaries take ocean containers full of condoms to these people?" As a possible answer to my question, I suggested that perhaps the government is financially supported by the Catholic church. The church would rather promote a failed policy of abstinence over contraception. With these comments, I told this Barista that I eagerly look forward to her dialog and inputs on the subject. "Perhaps we can solve the worlds problems together."

For my friend, I told her to take charge of her life. Stop being reactive and be proactive. Be strong. She has the power to make positive change. To be happy, she should analyze herself and draw strength from the things and people that make her happy. Based on her inputs, she should establish her value structure and never waver from implementation. Damn the torpedoes and anything else including, a God, a Husband, and Self. Full speed ahead!

The Result

As of late, both the Barista and the friend have given me the proverbial "cold shoulder." At first, I was very confused by this behavior. After careful thought. I think I know why they are so indifferent.

Empowerment is a direct assault on self identity.

The Barista's self identity was of a young Christian woman who was proud that she had pity on a group of Africans. Having this pity made her feel good about herself. She was not out to solve the worlds problems via tough love and philosophy. Her goal was to bring an instants worth of happiness to a small child's face before throwing them back into the cesspool they currently live in. Any concept that challenged the philosophical architecture which supported her pity was aggressive and confrontational.

The same holds true for the acquaintance friend. Taking charge of her life and making changes would alter her perceptions of herself in her current social circles. She is not going to challenge her beliefs in God because she is involved with Catholic friends and church organizations. She is not going to challenge her concepts of happiness because doing so may upset the group dynamic of her family. Her final resolution was not to challenge.

Both the Barista and the Housewife chose "status quo" over action. They preferred known unhappiness to unknown potential happiness. Most people would rather live with the devil they know than fight the devil that they don't know.

On a side note of interest, neither the Barista nor the acquaintance had any interest in the contents of my life.

With that, I leave you with this Fight Club movie line!




Marla - "Why do you come to groups?"

Jack - "I don't know....maybe because when your dying, everybody really listens to you....

Marla - "instead of just waiting for their turn to speak."



P.S. Maybe I should change my blogger handle to "Groups."

No comments: